Sunday, February 19, 2006


I'm moving to Taos, Dammit!

And I'm taking my robots with me!

For those of you who don't already know, here's the short story: I met a girl (Christina Sporrong). We fell in love. She lives in Taos. We bought land there. I decided I was done with LA. I decided to move. I'll build a big shop there where we both can work and make stuff. She will build a house where we can sleep and curl up by the fire with the dogs.

(That picture above is of me doing the first real work on my land - clearing a flat pad of dirt [MY DIRT!!] for my soon-to-arrive containers)

I'm currently in the process of loading every damn thing I own into 3 shipping containers! Right now I'm focusing on loading a single 40-foot container with a combination of hydraulics, motors, tools, books, records, and all kinds of other crap. Jesus, what a lot of work.

When this 40-footer is full I'll start filling two 20-footers with the big machine tools, shop tables, welders, tool cabinets, robots, sculptures, and other assorted remaining stuff. I hope it all fits.

Once these containers are full I'll be contracting the services of a crane company to come and lift them onto the beds of big-rig trucks which will drive them to Taos. At that point I'll have to hire another crane to off-load them into place on my land. This should probably be both fun and nerve-wracking to watch, as these containers will probably weigh up to 20 tons each. I hope the cranes don't break.

I'll post pictures of all the crazy stages of this move, as well as of the (arguably more exciting) building of the new shop and home that will happen in the spring. So stay tuned!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to "out of L.A. land my man!!! Call me when ya can and come hang in Austin. 512-264-2915

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home